Birth Control – Frequently Asked Questions
What is Masturbation? – Orlando Women’s Center.
Masturbation is defined as the self-stimulation of the genitals to reach a sexually-aroused state. It is primarily done for pleasure and to reach an orgasm (a sexual climax). An orgasm is a period of intense excitement in which genital muscles enter into a series of highly pleasurable contractions or movements, and is different for males and females.
Orgasm is usually achieved by touching, stroking with the hands, fingers, sex toys, vibrators, the use of pillows in the genital area or massaging the penis or clitoris until one achieves orgasm.
Women can insert their fingers or objects such as a dildo or device such a vibrator in their vagina or anus to achieve a climax.
Does Everyone Masturbate?
Most everyone masturbates, or has done so at a particular time in their lives.
Masturbation is quite a normal and common in children from the ages of 3 to 6 years old. It is quite common among teenagers.
It is not unusual to masterbate among people who are in healthy relationships.
How Common Is Masturbation?
There have been several studies conducted regarding masturbation. In one study, it was reported that approximately 95 percent of males and 89 percent of females stated that they have masturbated.
Among the teen set, 94 percent of males and 70 percent of females admitted to masturbating.
Masturbation is usually the first sexual experience that people encounter. In teens and young adults, masturbation is a normal element in the individual’s exploration of his or her body.
Furthermore, most people will continue to masturbate throughout their adult lives.
Why Do We Masturbate?
Masturbation makes us feel good, almost euphoric, in a sense. It is also a great way to alleviate any sexual tension that can accumulate over time.
Masturbation is particularly important for those who do not have a current partner, are not in a relationship, unable to have sexual intercourse, or are abstinent.
Many people who decide to be abstinent view masturbation as a safe sexual alternative for intercourse. This way, they can avoid pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.
On another note, men must masturbate when a semen sample is requested either to test for infertility or a sperm donation.
Is Masturbation Unsafe?
Masturbation is not disgusting or wrong. Contrary to some urban legends out there, masturbation will not make you go blind, deaf, or grow hairy arms.
Professionals in the medical field actually deem masturbation as a normal, natural and harmless representation of sexuality.
Masturbation rarely causes any type of physical injury to the body when performed in moderation. It can also be performed throughout a person’s life and thought of as a typical sexual behavior.
However, there are some religions and cultures that disapprove of masturbation. This can make certain individuals feel extremely guilty or disgraced about masturbating.
Some medical professionals propose that masturbation can increase your sexual health and relationships. By intimately exploring one’s body by masturbating, you can decide what is sexually pleasurable and reveal this to your partner.
This brings the sexual experience between two people to a more personal and comfortable level. Sharing masturbation techniques can also be satisfying and can add to your mutual intimacy.
Masturbation is only considered a problem when it prevents a partner from engaging in sexual activity, is done in public, interferes with his or her job or social events, or causes a person to become overly lethargic or becomes addictive.
It can be problematic if it is done compulsively and interferes with one’s daily life. If done compulsively, masturbation can cause skin irritations. In this case, it is recommended to use a water-soluble lubricant.
There are many lubricants available on the market today, and many professionals advise using them. With the use of perfumed lotions or other unsafe lubricants may cause significant soreness and tenderness of the ano-genital area.
What Are The Benefits Of Masturbation?
- May Reduce The Incidence Of Prostate Cancer
- Studies show that the increase in frequency of orgasms lower the risk of Prostate Cancer
- Improve Sleep
- Release of endorphins, oxytocin and dopamine causes relaxation and decrease in stress
- May Increase Sex Drive In Women
More About Masturbation:
- Males and females both masturbate; it is a very common, normal and healthy part of sexual exploration.
- Masturbation is very personal. It should not be done in public or around those who are not willing participants.
- Masturbation does not make you abnormal if you do it or think about doing it.
- Masturbation can take sexual intercourse to the next level as you will already know what pleases you.
- Masturbation can reduce stress. After reaching orgasm, endorphins are released into your system making you feel more relaxed.
- Masturbation can be common in children between the ages of 3 and 6, as they are exploring their bodies.
- However, with teenagers masturbation develops into a more sophisticated sexually-motivated act.
- Surveys report that 80% of males and 59% of females have masturbated by age 18.
- Many experts think that masturbation is more prevalent in teenagers because of the strong fluctuation of hormones.
- The only problems that masturbation can be linked to are psychological regarding unhealthy attitudes toward doing it.
- May Reduce The Incidence Of Prostate Cancer
Dr James S Pendergraft Abortion Clinic Orlando, www.womencenter.com.
Have a Question? Someone is available to answer your sexual health related question by
e-mail 24 hours 7 days a week at email@example.com