MENSTRUAL EXTRACTION (REGULATION) | Orlando Women’s Center
- Period Coming Too Soon?
- Missed Period By One Day Or A Few?
- Irregular Period?
- Period Seemingly Stopped?
- Not Sure When Period Will Occur?
- Period Suppressed?
- Having Premenstrual Tension?
- Having Ankle Swelling?
- Breast Tenderness?
- Going On Vacation?
- Possibly Engaging In Intimate Relationship Tomorrow?
- Do Not Wish To Have Menstrual Cramps Or Bleeding?
- Do Not Want To Worry About Period Interfering With Your Plans?
- Want Period To Be Regular Again?
Depending on the part of the world one is in, the absence of Menses up to 8 to 10 weeks can be returned by a
- Surgical Suction Dilation Curettage – Menstrual Extraction / Regulation or
- Medical Extraction / Regulation – Using Mifepristone and Misoprostol or Misoprostol alone.
Why Menstrual Extraction (Regulation) or Medical Menstrual Extraction (Regulation)?
In many parts of the world, countries have significant restrictions on who can have abortions (women’s who life is in danger, rape or incest) or having an abortion is outright illegal.
Menstrual Extractions / Regulation Clinics are legal in thousands of countries where abortion is illegal. They reduce the incidence of side effects, complications and death in thousands of women who have illegal and botched abortions.
Since 1974 for example, Nepal legalized Menstrual Extraction (Regulation) Clinics. Abortion remains illegal there. Women routinely have the procedure performed either medically or surgically up to 8 weeks from their last menstrual period and in many cases up to 10 weeks.
There are numerous reasons why a woman’s menses may suddenly stop, become irregular or have never had a regular normal menstrual cycle. Among others, they include the following:
- Stress (mental and physical)
- Sudden weight gain or weight loss
- Thyroid Disease (Hyperthyroidism, Hypothyroidism)
- Hormonal Treatments (estrogen, progesterone, birth control pills)
- Highly Trained Athletic Women That have minimal body fat
- Uterine pathology (endometrial hyperplasia, endometrial cancer, uterine polyps, cervical polyps, ovarian cancer
- Brain structural bathology
- Polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCO) or variants
- HCG shots
- Vaginal infections (bacterial vaginosis, chlamydia, trichomonas, yeast, ect
The above list does not include all of the reasons why women miss their monthly menses, or it is delayed, irregular or miss their menses entirely for several months to years.
Many women who have Premenstrual Syndrome are able to anticipate when, or have an idea when their menses will occur.
There are multiple reasons why a woman would not want her menses to happen during a certain period of time or event such as a wedding, going on vacation, taking a business trip, going swimming, going hiking or on a camping trip, etc.
As noted above, the list is not short on why women would elect to have either a menstrual extraction / regulation or medical extraction / regulation procedure.
It is not illegal or improper to undergo a menstrual extraction / regulation or medical menstrual extraction / regulation procedure. They are performed in medical offices, clinics and hospitals around the world thousands of times a day (endometrial biopsy) to diagnose and treat menstrual irregularity.
Menstrual Extraction (Regulation) Is The Answer For Women Who Are Experiencing A Delay In Their Menses Or Want Their Menses To Be Postponed And Return In 4 to 6 weeks.
What Are The Advantages Of Menstrual Extraction / Regulation or Medical Menstrual Extraction Regulation?
- No driver or escort required
- Patient privacy assure
- Bleeding generally stops within 12 hours or less after procedure
- No anesthesia required
- No dilatation of cervix usually necessary
- No antibiotics required
- No pain medication necessary
- Little to no discomfort during procedure
- No recovery required
- Discharged immediately after procedure
- May continue normal work schedule and other activities
- May have sex immediately after procedure
History Of Menstrual Extraction / Regulation In The US
The term Menstrual Extraction (Regulation) was first used approximately 75 to 80 years ago in the US.
The term and procedure re-surfaced in the early 1970’s when women who were less than two weeks from their missed period performed the procedure on each other.
Menstrual Extraction is similar to the surgical D&C; with the following exceptions when performed 2 to 3 weeks from their missed period:
- it does not involve the use of dilating the cervix opening the womb) with serial dilators that can cause uterine cramps and discomfort when
- The use of local anesthesia to numb the cervix is not necessary, and 3) does not cause pain and discomfort during the procedure.
Some consider the Medical or Surgical Menstrual Extraction process to be an intentional method of terminating a pregnancy. It is clearly not. There is no pregnancy test performed to diagnose if the woman is pregnant.
Without confirmation of pregnancy, menstrual extraction / regulation allows a woman’s menses to return to normal in 4 to 6 weeks.
How Is The Menstrual Extraction / Regulation Performed?
The surgical procedure is commonly performed with a handheld manual suction device along with an attached sterile curette. It is gently inserted through the cervix and the tissue inside the uterus is removed by a manual or electrical suction device.
When a Menstrual Extraction is performed, the tissue is not examined or sent to pathology.
How Is Medical Menstrual Extraction / Regulation Performed?
Cytotec may be taken orally (by mouth), buccally (between cheek and gum), sublingually (under the tongue) or vaginally to cause uterine contractions and passage of the tissue within the uterine (womb) cavity.
The contraction, cramps and bleeding is similar to a heavy menses. Most women do not need medication to control the pain or discomfort. Approximately 40% of women take Tylenol, Motrin or Advil to control their discomfort. A very small percentage of women require narcotics for pain control.
If medical menstrual extractions are performed at 4 weeks or less, the Cytotec dosage required to pass the tissue inside the Uterus is less and the success rate is greater.
What Is The Cytotec (Misoprostol) Pill?
Cytotec is a Prostaglandin E1 tablet approved in the US only to prevent gastric ulcers in patients on long term chronic use of Non-Steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDS).
What Is The MOA (Mechanism of Action) of how Cytotec works?
Prostaglandins naturally occur in many parts of our bodies and play a very important role in maintaining our health.
There are Prostaglandin receptors on the walls of the Uterus. Cytotec attaches to these receptors and causes Uterine (womb) Contractions along with softening and opening of the Cervix (Opening of the lower end of the Uterus).
Cytotec has many uses in managing women’s care around the world:
- Massive Hemorrhage After Delivery- The number one reason for maternal death in the world today is due to the massive loss of blood related to pregnancy. Millions of women around the world have died due to a preventable mishap. WHO has on their most needed medication list that Cytotec is a necessity. Cytotec inserted rectally or given sublingually begins to cause the Uterus to contract and reduce significant bleeding post delivery.
- Induction of labor at term
- Insertion of an IUD- Cytotec inserted vaginally or given sublingually 2 to 3 hours prior to insertion reduces risk and complications and discomfort upon insertion
- Abortion Pill for termination of pregnancies in the first, second and third trimester of pregnancy and late term
- Priming (softening and opening) of the cervix Incomplete Abortions
- Menstrual Extraction
Side Effects Of Cytotec:
Common side effects associated with the use of Cytotec include:
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Jaw pain
- Chest and shoulder discomfort
- Shivering and Chills
- Itchy palms
- Lower back and abdominal pain
- Vaginal bleeding
- Vaginal discharge (clear or yellow)
- Yeast infection
Potential Serious Side Effects
- Severe pain
- Elevated temperature of 100.4
- Incomplete passage of tissue
- Uterine infection
- Maternal deaths
- The incidence of maternal death is extremely rare.
How Do Women Feel During The Medical Menstrual Extraction (Regulation)?
Most women describe the Medical Menstruation Process as having a bad menses. Normally within 15 minutes to 4 hours after taking the Cytotec tablets, lower abdominal cramps, uterine contractions and vaginal bleeding start.
The bleeding and pain becomes the heaviest and most intense just prior to passage of the uterine tissue. The tissue looks like a large blood clot. After the tissue passes, the heavy pain and bleeding immediately become less.
Coping With Menstrual Regulation/ Extraction Discomfort
Women find several methods to cope with their discomfort by doing the following:
- Place a warm heating pad on lower abdominal area. If not available, place rice in a bag and heat it up in the microwave and then apply to lower abdomen like a heating pad
- Take a warm shower
- Perform Uterine massage
- Listen to calming music
- Watching Movies
- Reading a good novel
How Long Does It Take For The Uterine Tissue To Pass?
The process can take as little as 15 minutes to 3 to 4 hours in the majority of cases. It may take up to 24 hours to pass the tissue.
The earlier from when the woman had her Last Menstrual Period, the faster the process is completed.
How Long Does The Vaginal Bleeding Last?
The vaginal bleeding on average lasts for 5 to 14 days. Approximately 8% of patients experience bleeding for 30 days and 1% continue for 60 days.
Menstrual Extraction (Regulation) vs Medical Extraction (Regulation) – Which Is Preferred?
Women who have experienced both the Menstrual Extraction and Medical Extraction Procedures prefer the Medical Pill process with Cytotec for the following reasons:
- Feels natural
- No instruments or anesthesia required
- Can have supportive person of their choosing with them
- Have control of the environment in which the procedure is started and completed
What Is The Cost Of Menstrual or Medical Menstrual Extraction / Regulation Procedure?
The price is between $500 to $2,000 at our Women’s Centers in Orlando and Tampa.
The price may vary at a private physician’s office vs In Clinic Abortions Facilities where there may be medical personnel with experience performing early abortions and Menstrual Extractions. Treatments for both are similar medically or surgically.
The range in price for the Menstrual Extraction procedure is due to:
- Geographic locations
- VIP or Exclusive Appointments
Where Can I Find I Get A Menstrual Extraction (Regulation) Or Medical Extraction (Regulation) Procedure Performed?
One should perform a keyword research for a “menstrual extraction (regulation) facility” They may be not easy to find.
There will be many places that will suggest that they do not even know what one is asking or has reference to.
One may also do a online search for the keywords “abortion pills for one month pregnancy”, “early abortion pills” or “abortion clinics” and inquire if anyone near you performs the Surgical or Medical Menstual Extraction / Regulation Procedure.
Have a Question? Someone is available to answer your sexual health related question by
e-mail 24 hours 7 days a week at email@example.com